My Blog List

Monday 3 November 2014

Say What?

I have been to Preston Bus Station several times (I'm very well travelled don't you know!) and in my opinion, it is one of the ugliest, most depressing structures I have ever visited. Imagine my surprise (horror) when I discovered it had been granted Grade II listed status by English Heritage last year. The picture below, obviously taken on a sunny day, doesn't impart to the viewer how seriously stark and cold this place is...not to mention the fact that it seems to be miles away from the shops!

Preston Bus Station

It is even uglier (again, in my opinion) on the inside and once again the picture below doesn't quite communicate what it feels like to be waiting for a bus there.



And the subways to this 'eyesore' are in fact, a bit scary.
The following pictures are more realistic.


'That is not to say that the bulldozers will arrive tomorrow, next week or indeed next month,' he said. 'We've already had some private developer interest in the building'

Travellers and shoppers make their way through the subways of the station, which councillors say will cost £23m to refurbish

According to one newspaper report I saw.... 'The building has been described as a great example of Brutalist architecture.' Well, let me be brutal, this structure, built in 1968/9 should have been demolished when somebody had the chance.

Proposals for a £23m redevelopment (presumably within the bounds of the Grade II rules) are in the pipeline and will be considered next year. Let's hope common sense prevails.
                                                                                                                           Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment