My Blog List

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Happy 90th to BBC Radio and Happy 60th to the UK Singles Chart



On the 14th November 1922 at 5.33pm the British Broadcasting Company crackled into the lives and homes of the British public for the very first time.  Read by Arthur Burrows was a news bulletin which featured stories about a train robbery, a rowdy meeting involving Winston Churchill and the latest Billiard scores.  Mr Burrows read each story twice, once quickly and once slowly and asked the listeners to say which one they preferred.  At 5.33pm today a composition by Damon Albarn was played on all the BBC's stations to celebrate this significant Anniversary.  On a personal note, I feel like I was brought up on BBC Radio 2 as my Mum loved having music on when we were growing up. To this day I have happy memories of listening to Terry Wogan, Jimmy Young, 'Diddy' David Hamilton and Pete Murray amongst others.  And who can forget the Grumbleweeds and Roy Castle.  Can you imagine life without Radio and Television? I'd rather not.
Al Martino

Today is also the 60th Anniversary of the first UK Singles Chart which was published in the New Musical Express on 14th November 1952.  The first No.1 was Al Martino's Here in my Heart which spent nine weeks at the top spot, which also made it the first ever UK Christmas No.1.
The first full chart was a Top 12 which are listed below (Please click on any of the titles to listen to the songs)

1.  Here in My Heart - Al Martino
2.  You Belong to Me - Jo Stafford
3.  Somewhere Along the Way - Nat King Cole
4.  The Isle of Innisfree - Bing Crosby
5.  Feet Up (Pat Him on the Po-Po) - Guy Mitchell
6.  Half As Much - Rosemary Clooney
7.  High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me) - Frankie Laine
8.  Sugarbush - Doris Day & Frankie Laine
     and Blue Tango - Ray Martin and His Concert Orchestra
9.  The Homing WaltzThe Homing Waltz - Very Lynn
10. Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart - Vera Lynn
11  Cowpuncher's Cantata - Max Bygraves
      and Because You're Mine - Mario Lanza
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - Johnnie Ray

Obviously I wasn't around in 1952 (not quite that old...although, did I tell you I'm nearly 50?) but I do remember many a happy Sunday afternoon in my youth listening to and recording the Top 40 on Radio 1.
The secret was trying not to get any of the DJ talking on your recording, not always a successful venture it has to be said!

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't the songs sound tame, compared to today's pop records?! Great info though. Thanks for posting.

    Di

    xx

    ReplyDelete