My Blog List

Thursday 25 October 2012

110 Moss Street - Part 1

I have very happy memories of 110 Moss Street, where my paternal grandparents lived when I was born in 1962.  In fact, they lived there when my Dad was born in 1937.  It was a two up, two down terraced house with no bathroom and an outside toilet, just like thousands of other houses in this Lancashire mill town.  Here they are, my lovely Nanna and Grandad in the front room.  That settee was older than me and was still going strong when I was in my 20's, in fact it came to live in my house for a few years when Grandad replaced it in the 1980's.
 

The back room downstairs was a sitting room/dining room/kitchen and we spent many a happy Sunday afternoon round the table enjoying lovely tea-time treats. I particularly remember tinned salmon and salad followed by fruit cocktail with carnation cream and lots of lovely home made buns.  

Going to the toilet was a bit of an adventure as it was at the bottom of the cobbled back yard.  Grandad would take me there by the light of his torch if it was dark, which in my memory it always seemed to be....and he would wait outside making ghostly noises and telling me to beware of spiders....bless him!!

When my brother and I stayed over, Grandad would carry us up the stairs on his shoulders (one at a time of course) singing to us.  Ah, happy memories indeed.

So you will be as surprised as I was to learn that many years before my family lived there, in 1876 to be precise, lived a little girl called Emily who came to a particularly nasty end.

Come back tomorrow for the story of the murder of seven year old Emily Holland who also once lived at 110 Moss Street.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh what an ending...we have to wait till tomorrow....cant wait, cant wait !! Lovely story. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. FE FI FO FUM, I smell the blood of an Englishman, be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're on the villains trek, we're on the villains trek....

    ReplyDelete