My Blog List

Thursday 17 May 2012

In My Opinion

     When I was a child, I felt quite proud to live in the same town as 'Red Rum' and always felt a little thrill on Grand National Day.  It seems to me, looking back, that this gorgeous horse won every year. My Dad always put 10p each way bets on 'Red Rum' for me and my brother, so we won even when he came second.
     I don't recall feeling any sense of pity for the horses made to run this gruelling race with its ridiculously high fences and crowded course.  If a horse fell over or unseated its rider I thought nothing of it. Or if I did, my childish brain just assumed it got back up again and all was well.
     Nearly forty years later, I watched this years Grand National with my heart in my mouth, cringing at every fence, as these magnificent thoroughbred creatures succumbed to the horror that is the most famous steeplechase in the world.
     Forty beautiful beasts started the race this year, only fifteen finished. Two horses perished, 'Synchronised' and 'According to Pete'. I feel sympathy for the owners trainers and riders, but they chose to subject their animals to this ordeal, not least to claim glory for themselves.  The horses just like running, wherever it may be. I can't know for sure of course, but I would suspect that most horses given their druthers would prefer to run free over fields or beaches, without some tiny chap on their back screaming and beating seven bells of manure out of them to make them go faster.
     Thirty-three horses have died as a direct result of the Grand National since 1973.  Personally I think that's thirty-three too many. Can you imagine if it were dogs dying as a consequence of being shown at Crufts?  There would be a national uproar and Crufts would be immediately banned.
     For a country of animal lovers we seem curiously blind to the cruelty of this sport.  Perhaps 'Synchronised' had the right idea when he unseated his rider and ran away before the start of this years race.  Maybe he had a premonition.....

                                          Red Rum - by Derek Holden

2 comments:

  1. What? Red Rum lived in our home town? Why did I not know that?!
    T xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my home town...the one you were born in. You were too ickle to remember him!

      Delete