My Blog List

Thursday 3 October 2013

National Poetry Day

Today is National Poetry Day and the theme this year is 'Water' which kind of threw me... I'm not sure I  know any poems about water. Investigations will have to take place. Ooo! Hang on, what about.....

"Rain, rain go away
Come again another day."


No, that's a nursery rhyme. Hmmm! How about....

"Doctor Foster went to Gloucester
In a shower of rain."


Whaaat? Another nursery rhyme you say. Let's see if I can find some grown up poems about water.
-------x-------
Well, I've searched high and I've searched low...ok I asked Google and I can't find any 'grown-up' water poems that didn't make me yawn, so we'll stick with the wonderful poetry of the great A.A. Milne (he of Winnie The Pooh and Christoper Robin fame). He wrote poetry that mostly rhymed (which can't always be said of other poets) and I do prefer a poem that rhymes... to me that's what poetry should do. So here for your delight and delectation is one of his poems, which actually is a bit more grown-up and is about water!

Water Lilies

Where the water-lilies go
To and fro,
Rocking in the ripples of the water,
Lazy on a leaf lies the Lake King's daughter,
And the faint winds shake her.
Who will come and take her?
I will! I will!
Keep still! Keep still!
Sleeping on a leaf lies the Lake King's daughter. . . .
Then the wind comes skipping
To the lilies on the water;
And the kind winds wake her.
Now who will take her?
With a laugh she is slipping
Through the lilies on the water.
Wait! Wait!
Too late, too late!
Only the water-lilies go
To and fro,
Dipping, dipping,
To the ripples of the water.
                                                        A.A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment